I've been feeling like President Hinckley when they were interviewing him for his biography and he expressed how sick he was of hearing about himself. I felt that way too so I took a break from this blog.
I've made some improvement in walking--but I still struggle to walk straight without favoring my right side. Reuben started me walking with a walker so that I would use my left hand when I walk. Once I put my left hand on the walker, I have to pry that hand off to let the walker go.
My left arm still hangs and doesn’t have much movement on its own. To use my left arm--I place my arm on the table when I eat--so it's remembered. I can't move my arm on it's own--so I still lift it and put it in place. I use my hand to hold my yogurt cup and glass when I eat and drink. I've done some sewing with my left hand—basically it holds the fabric down while I sew with my right hand.
At Church, last Sunday, I saw a walker out next to the Church’s garbage can—the walker was bent and not very appealing. I made Brent pick it up for me. I told him someone left me a gift and I was suppose to pick it up—he looked at me like I was crazy. He brought it home and left the walker in the garage. The next day I told my CNA about this find and she brought it in the house and we washed the walker with Clorox wipes. We replaced the legs (the giver was nice enough to leave us the box the walker came in) and we reset the bar so the walker would stand straight without tipping. I called the Bishop and let him know what I did so if he hears that someone wants their walker back, he knows where to send them. I now have a beautiful blue walker with straps to hold my treasures at the right price—free!!!
Reuben, my therapist, told me to get out of my wheel chair and walk more during the day. It’s hard when he wants me to be spotted while I walk and I don’t always have someone around—but I’m trying.
I love free stuff. Good find!
ReplyDeleteMy baby, Ethan, is upstairs taking a nap in the cowboy blanket you made for Parker. It made me think of you and then I found that you had updated your blog. It made my day.
Take care. You in our prayers.
Kari Tandberg